Intimidation

Intimidation has been a skill boxing has taught me well. From learning how to talk the talk despite lack of of real knowledge, and learning how to walk the walk despite having the crawl of a baby. Muhammad Ali became the first master of this mental mind game in boxing, getting into his opponent’s head, constantly assuring reporters and the public that he is the greatest, and yelling his royalty in boxing from the mountain tops. Many biographies note how he wasn’t sure how he much he believed what he said himself, and many comment that once he fulfilled his own prophesies he truly became a believer in himself. I don’t ascribe to the same intimidation tactics that many boxers still take today, but intimidation comes in many forms. I don’t feel that I have to look the strongest, the meanest, or the biggest. I just need to be comfortable and happy with who I am and what I have to offer. Believing my skill will carry me to the end, and if it doesn’t, then I gained valuable knowledge of how to improve. Joy in the moment cannot be easily demoted, but anger and fear can be a slippery slope. Yelling, showboating, pumped muscles, mean mugging, and clapping gloves together are great covers for fear and doubt. A true smile cannot be faked, and a fake smile is easy to detect. The opponent that has a true smile is worrisome, as it is never a cover for doubt underneath. It shows true confidence, a sense of enjoyment and purpose, that the fighter wants to be there, will enjoy the fight, and not be shaken. This fighter can keep the stare with their opponent and not be uncomfortable. This fighter can stand still while waiting for the bell, not needing to jump and shake to let out excess energy or nerves. This fighter is as calm as a lake, easily going back to a clear surface despite the number of pebbles dropped in. A few years ago, a client of mine watched me spar with a group of girls. While waiting outside the ring for my next turn in, he told me that I looked like I was enjoying a cup of tea while I was sparring. I was proud to have reached such a true level of calm. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being in the present moment

Younger Me

Very good letter