Intention

 While reading about different tai chi exercises, I ran across one that discussed an idea I have experienced multiple times during sparring. The drill was to determine intention of a possible opponent. The author writes: “If you watch for his attack using just your eyes, you will only be able to initiate your defense after he starts to move and you have processed the associated sense data using the analytical part of your brain. However, if you use all of your senses including those yet unnamed, you will sense the opponent’s intention before he starts to move.” (Chuckrow pg 70)* The drill is set up to try to *feel* when your opponent will start their attack by having them stand behind you. 

Many times during sparring or a fight, I know exactly what my opponent is going to throw before they do it. Or, my opponent prepares for a punch I have not thrown yet but I had the intention of throwing. My explanation of this is our ability to sense body language or predict patterns of another individual. Since we and others can use our unnamed senses to predict punches, how can we prevent an opponent from anticipating our next move? Despite our ability to mask our intention by not winding up or showing a tell, our intention, or thought in our mind of the next move, may be all it takes to show what we are going to do. This presents an interesting conundrum: how do we strategize without showing intention? 

My first solution is to strategize the game plan and not the specific punch. When we see the open shot, instead of being determined to throw a left hook, have in mind to land a punch in the open spot. The specificity of our punch may show our intention more than our general game plan. Our opponent already knows we are trying to hit them whenever possible, we are not hiding that. By not keeping or focusing on a specific punch in mind, we might be able to better mask our intentions. 

My second solution (I only have two so far) would be to box in the moment and limit strategizing. By trusting our training and body’s ability to react, we have no intention to relay to our opponent. We should go into the vulnerable space without a plan, and trust our ability to react. I have found when I focus on being present, letting my body take complete control, my reactions have been sharp and accurate. 

Ideally, we integrate both of these mindsets, creating a balance between strategy and moment reactions. And what about the other side? Using your unnamed senses to predict what your opponent is throwing? I feel the best course of action is to let that happen naturally, trust your instincts and do not try to control them. Focusing on my opponent, trying to observe everything possible from their movement, mood, and body language, will help hone the skill needed to see intention. 

Chuckrow, R. (2009). Dynamics of Movement . In Tai Chi Dynamics: Principles of natural movement, Health & Seld-Development (pp. 70–70). essay, YMAA. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being in the present moment

Younger Me

Very good letter