Burnout

 I wanted to write a blogpost today, and I was struggling to come up with a topic. So I thought, what am I experiencing, or my boxers experiencing currently? And I realized, burnout. Whether it’s from exercising, work, relationships, or boxing itself, I have noticed over the month of June a frustrated energy from people. Everyone’s mood and motivations are affected, all for different reasons, all in different ways. I feel it myself: I’m tired in general, and I have a strong urge to stay in bed for a couple of days in order to recuperate. 

The question to myself is how do I coach burnout? When I can sense a boxer is frustrated because they do not think they are improving, or they don’t have the time to train, or they have trouble grasping certain movements or are too tired to condition? Everyone goes through an ebb and flow, an upward progression to a stagnate to possibly a regression back to progressing. Sometimes taking some time off helps, resets the mind and body. Sometimes lowering the intensity helps, solidifying certain technique. Sometimes doing something entirely different engages the mind in a different and exciting way. And, sometimes, when a boxer steps back, they never step forward into boxing again. 

How do I avoid a boxer leaving entirely in order to cure burnout? If someone is truly done with boxing, that is one thing. But if someone needs a break, what would be considered a good break? One thing I’ve always loved about boxing culture is the community: many people that regularly go to boxing gyms just hit the bag and occasionally spar, no intention to compete or compete again. But they have a community, a place away from home and work that they connect to any person that has a shared interest in boxing. I feel that community aspect has disappeared from much of my current gym. When someone doesn’t have a reason other than training to go to a boxing gym, if they are taking a break they won’t go. But if they also go to connect to other people, it keeps them engaged in the sport without the pressure of intense training. If your buddy plans to go to the gym at 4pm to do a bag workout, and they want you to join, you will most likely go at 4pm to do a bag workout. Otherwise, a sense of laziness or lack of motivation sets in, and it becomes easier to go run outside or go to the gym in the building to lift weights. 

To avoid burnout but keep boxers engaged, community may be a viable option. Now my goal is how do I encourage and foster that community in a world where everyone puts up boundaries, too exhausted to want to create new connections? How do I make this sport more than a workout, more than a method of training to achieve a goal? Boxing is a lifestyle, a way of living, a worldly community, and a discipline.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being in the present moment

Younger Me

Very good letter