Trust

 My Apple Watch has been broken for at least a month now, and despite numerous store visits, phone calls and online chats, I have still yet to find a solution. It has been sent in to be “repaired” three times, and sent back only to work even worse each time. A phone call gave a possible solution, that I would be sent a new watch, my card would be charged, and I send the old watch back and the charge reversed. My answer to this is how can I at this point trust Apple to not at the end of the day charge me? They clearly don’t trust me to send back the broken scrap metal I now have, why would I trust them to refund my money? 

This got me thinking about trust. Obviously I do not trust Apple as a company anymore, and I will no longer be investing in their products. But who do I truly trust? My mind had trouble making a list. I’ve been screwed over in boxing and career more times than I can count. Friends always say the typical “call me if you need anything” line, but I learned that quickly meant I am being nice and will always be too busy to actual help. As a person I have always relied on routine and schedule, finding comfort in knowing where and when I have to be somewhere. Because I value that reliability so much, I try to be as reliable as possible to other people. I avoid canceling or flaking as much as I can. I want clients to know their lessons will be honored every week and planned. A sense of predictability in a world of chaos. I keep appointments with friends unless super sick, for I don’t know how much they may need that social interaction. But maybe this is something I do because I value it. And I assume everyone else does as well, but I’m projecting my values onto others. 

Do other people trust me? I do not know honestly. I want to be viewed as a trustworthy person, but maybe in a world filled with little trust in anything it is hard for anyone to put their trust in another person. I want my fighters to trust me, to trust that I would make a necessary judgement call, to protect their safety, to tell them my honest view of their skill, to give the best advice in the moment. But I know my view sometimes runs into conflict with their view. And maybe that is where trust is lost. 

Do I trust myself? I think that I have grown to trust myself. I came to realize that my instincts are probably accurate, despite the outside world telling me that I am crazy or reading into a situation. I used to believe that, but now I trust my gut, despite how crazy it may sound. Does that get in the way of me trusting other people? When I get a certain gut feeling, yes of course. But I think my lack of trust of people I barely know comes from the past, from avoiding the disappointment I would feel from loss of friendships, coaches ditching me, and coworkers shunning me from the group. That lack of trust is not instinctual, but learned, and probably wrongly placed. 

I competed numerous times without a coach. I would be matched for a boxing show and go by myself, asking another random coach to be in my corner because it was regulation. When they would give me advice in the corner, I would look through them as though they were a ghost. What motivation do they have to truly help me win? All I heard was that I was there alone, no one to cheer for me, no one to coach me. But I did have times in my competitive boxing years that I would have a coach there for me, supporting me, someone that I could trust. And I performed significantly better than without one. The feeling that I could rely on someone to push me, to protect me, and to guide me made all the difference in the world. The relationship of coach and athlete is a very intimate one, but I’ve realized in my years as a coach if my fighter does not trust me I have trouble providing the unconditional support that they need. 

With this reflection I realize something. Due to necessity I have spend many years training myself, as I have been dumped by many coaches. I value the autonomy I gained from that forced seclusion, as I had to learn and think for myself in my training. It made me a better fighter and a better coach. At the same time, toward the end of my competitive years, my self reliance became a problem for the couple of coaches that tried to guide me. I had trained by myself for such a long time on and off, I became reliant on me, and I trusted myself. Those that I asked to coach me may have pulled back the support I needed, because my self reliance was viewed as if I didn’t need their support at all. Which of course I did. 

So the question that I pose myself as a coach is where is the middle ground? How can my fighters truly trust me, but also trust themselves without cutting me out? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being in the present moment

Younger Me

Very good letter