Growth and Time

 I have written about training for time before, and how boxing centers around the use of time and space. Another aspect of time I find myself coaching for is a different genre: age. I have met a lot of retired boxers in my years in the sport, as well as observed some of the greats as they age. Muhammad Ali noted that his aging body was Allah’s way of reminding him that he is still human, and there are greater truths than attaining physical prowess. Ali devoted himself to his religion, as well as making appearances and signing paraphernalia. Tyson has successfully transitioned into entertainment, touring with a play, making appearances in movies, tv shows, music videos, etc. George Foreman has his grill, as well as starting a nonprofit to support youth. I have seen boxers that I know transition into becoming coaches, gym owners, or promotors. These people gracefully accepted their body’s call to slow down, let the past be the past, and embrace new challenges of the future. And then I have met those boxers that refuse to let go of the past. Almost every conversation I have with them is about their old fights. How they used to train. Wonderful stories that should be shared, but no new or current adventures or goals. They cannot let go of their identity of a boxer and the respect they commanded in their prime.  I know this is a challenge they must address themself, and I never attempt to do it for them. 


For some that I train, I have observed some older athletes that start to box later in life have trouble accepting their current age. They observe younger boxers and the lack of boundaries they can push their body to, and strive to do the same. But what mature boxers lack in physicality they can make up in life experience and mental skills. This includes pacing, strategy, and self preservation. 
I also have master boxers that enjoy their age and the less stress this division puts on them. Their mentality thrives in the realm of fun, new experiences, meeting new people, and support of each other. They don’t relish the physicality of those younger, but take joy and pride in the ability to move and learn something new. 

Living in the current moment, by accepting one’s age, place in life, and letting go of regrets, will only add to the enjoyment of the sport. I have gone through this transition myself, and still struggle today. People will compare themselves to others to increase motivation, but sometimes this tactic demotivates, frustrates, and can cause harm. I find it best to be a better version of yourself everyday, but put into perspective how your better self transforms over time. I may not have as much endurance as I had 10 years ago, but I know how to be more efficient and save energy. I may not be as strong as I was 2 years ago, but I understand how to generate surprise and snap. I would like to gracefully evolve, instead of painfully age. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being in the present moment

Younger Me

Managing Fear